The midwest burned, NYC swam, and the Arctic sea ice set a new record low last September.
Australia’s summer so far has been the hottest on record, too- in January, meteorologists were forced to add two new colors to the weather map to account for record-high temperatures.
I wonder how this summer will be?
Extreme Weather in 2012 Shattered Records and Showed What Climate Change Looks Like: http://bit.ly/1037IXd
NRDC experts analyzed government weather data and found that at least 3,527 monthly weather records were broken for heat, rain, and snow throughout the United States last year. That is higher than the 3,251 records smashed in 2011.
Record heat, Arctic melt, disasters, international wrangling, 2012 was a hot year.
Reuters, December 21, 2012
CHICHEN ITZA, Mexico (Reuters)—Dawn broke over ancient holy sites in southern Mexico to celebrations on Friday, ushering in the start of a new era for the Maya people that had been billed as a possible end of the world.
Mystics, hippies and tourists descended on the…
“We’ll meet again, don’t know where, don’t know when.”
6:00 am: Opening speech in words of Paul McCarney
6:30 am: Welcome of the meteorites by words Ringo Starr.
8:00 am: ‘Help’ performance
9:00 am: ‘A Day In The Life” with the English Philarmonic Orchestra.
10: am: ‘Let It Be’ by Paul McCarney
11:00 am: Australia’s…
- Try sleeping in the nude on Dec. 20th, you may wake up to find clothes are a non-essential in the ever-after
- Hang around the house in the nude, on the 22nd you may find continuing the practice on Earth is quite heavenly
- Promise yourself if the world survives through the 21st that you’ll take a Nakation (vacation to a nudist resort) in 2013
- If you live in the sunbelt or plan a warm weather winter getaway, make sure you take a skinny dip – it’s how the Mayans enjoyed frolicking in the sea
- Strip down and enjoy the sunshine radiating through your windows. It is widely accepted that sunlight counteracts the Winter Blues, in fact, studies indicate your body needs at least 20 minutes a day of sunshine over at least 75% of your body to help prevent a vitamin D deficiency – of which one notable side effect is depression
- Multiple recent studies have linked weight gain and obesity to lack of sleep. One of the most popular ways that people are getting a better night’s sleep is by sleeping in the nude. Those who have shed their pajamas and inhibitions are reporting that they sleep better due to increased comfort.
- Make New Year’s resolutions to go “textile-free” when housecleaning, gardening and doing other dirty jobs. Makes clean up a snap, just jump in the shower or hose off!
Is this the one place that will survive the Mayan apocalypse?
On 21 December 2012, some believe the ancient civilisation expected the end of the world through as many varieties of cataclysm as the internet’s servers can hold. The sun will unleash a deadly storm. Earthquakes will tear the planet asunder. A rogue planet will plough into Earth in a cosmic re-creation of bar billiards. No, no, and no, says our science correspondent Ian Sample.
I have no fear that the world ends in 2012 … I panic it will remain the same.
so, so true